Saturday, January 19, 2008

How Bizarre?

When we were still in the US, my mom mentioned the Balut to me. She said she will make me and Yna eat this special egg and if we do, she'll reward us with something.

That time has come.

Jan. 5, 2008. My mom, Tita Myla and Tita Alma dared me to eat Balut. It is a 15-, 16- or 18-day old duck embryo that is still in its shell. It's boiled so it's safe to eat it. You eat it by cracking the shell open a little and sip the juice from the crack. You may add a pinch of salt if you like. The juice tastes really good. After that, you have a choice of eating the yellow part first which was good too or you dig in and eat the baby duck right away.

Do you know Andrew Zimmern from Bizarre Foods? If you watch the Travel Channel, then you'd know him. He once went to The Philippines and tried on a lot of, well, bizarre foods. He ate the very popular snack food, Balut. He said the dish was truly bizarre but he found it very tasty.

He was right. It was yummy. I thought I won't be able to eat it because there's a baby duck inside the egg but once I tasted the juice, I can't be stopped. I even felt some feathers in my tongue and a bit of its young bones which were really soft and I didn't mind. I am proud to say that I conquered my fear! It was a good experience. I think I want to try it again!

Now, about the reward ... where's my mom?


Here I am eating a balut. Tita Alma was holding it so I wont break it!


The fact that a duck was inside creeped me out a little but it was still very tasty and juicy!


It's better when it's warm.


I'm getting to the duck...


There's the duck!


The duck is almost gone. )-:


Now it's LA's turn.


She's good at this one. She's sipping the juice.


Still sipping the juice.


She's a pro!


I think I see the duck!


A bite on the duck!


There is a clear view of the duck! Yummy!

No comments: